What is Expressive Dance?
There are innumerable ways we can describe Expressive (Open Floor) Dance:
- It’s a free-movement practice.
- It’s a meditation.
- It’s a means to release the tensions of the day.
- It’s a space to connect with ourselves and others.
- It’s a process through which we can get closer to knowing, finding, creating what we really want.
- It’s a vehicle to drive towards the change we are seeking.
- It’s a tool to help us find rootedness on uncertain ground.
- It’s a meeting with the here-and-now (and every time this can be different).
What are the benefits of Expressive Dance?
Expressive dance has been shown to give people:
- Greater ability to deal calmly with difficult situations.
- Strength to move forward/break through personal barriers.
- Empowerment in their choices - whether minor, life-transforming or anywhere in between.
- Courage to express their interests, preferences and needs where they may have previously felt too inhibited.
- Develop an enhanced feeling of well-being.